• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stvanalstine

If my husband put in a transfer for his job and we moved to another state for it. Can we claim moving expenses?

1 Reply
LeeM

If my husband put in a transfer for his job and we moved to another state for it. Can we claim moving expenses?

Most likely as long as you meet the tests below and described in more detail in IRS Publication 521, Moving Expenses linked to below. TurboTax will help you determine if you qualify when you answer the questions in the interview. 

I have also added instructions on how to enter those moving expenses in TurboTax.  

You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements.

• Your move is closely related to the start of work.

• You meet the distance test.

• You meet the time test.

Moving expenses are limited to -

• the cost of transportation of your household goods and family effects,
  • travel costs (including lodging but not meals) of you, your spouse and your dependents while en route
  • the cost of storing and insuring household goods and personal effects within any period of 30 consecutive days after the day your things are moved from your former home and before they are delivered to your new home.   (Different storage rules apply to a foreign move.)

See IRS Publication 521 on moving expenses here:  http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/ar02.html#en_US_publink100043359

You can enter those moving expenses by following the directions below. I have also pasted a link at the bottom of the page to a TurboTax article on what moving expenses are deductible.

You will want to type Moving Expenses in the "Search" box at the top of your screen. You will then select "Jump to Moving Expenses".

You can then continue through the question interview to enter your moving expenses.

TurboTax Guide To Moving Expenses

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v