katbales

If I use my truck for work (as a builder carrying tools and equipment, etc.) for someone else's business, can I deduct the mileage?

I use my personal truck as a work truck for the company I work for. I do not get reimbursed for driving. I carry tools and building materials needed on the job and often have to haul tractors, etc. with my own truck. The company does pay for fuel, but nothing else. Can I deduct the mileage to and from job sites because I haul tool/materials/etc. to job sites?

If you are an employee, your use of your personal vehicle is an employee expense.  Unreimbursed employee expenses are deductible, however they are itemized deductions and subject to the 2% rule so your benefit may be limited by your other tax situations.

To deduct work-related use of your vehicle, you must have a mileage log, diary, or keep track with an app, so you keep track of your business mileage (time, date, purpose, # of miles).  You can't deduct your daily commute to and from work, but if you travel to more than one job site in a day, that mileage qualifies.  You can deduct the standard mileage rate which is about 54 cents per mile.  However, you have to reduce the reimbursement by any tax-free partial reimbursements such as fuel.  If you enter the vehicle details and your work mileage, then go a few pages later and the program will ask if you received any tax free reimbursements.  The program will compute your net expense deduction and if it is more than 2% of your income, it will be added as a deduction on schedule A.