Solved: If I pay off parent's mortgage (75K), will either of us be liable for any taxes on this after I transfer money into their account so they can close their mortgage? Thanks

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I pay off parent's mortgage (75K), will either of us be liable for any taxes on this after I transfer money into their account so they can close their mortgage? Thanks

If I pay off parent's mortgage (75K), will either of us be liable for any taxes on this after I transfer money into their account so they can close their mortgage? Thanks
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

You don't owe gift tax unless your total lifetime gifts are more than $5.4 million, and the recipient does not owe tax (except for certain foreign transactions).  Gifts more than $14,000 per person per year must be reported so the IRS can track them against your lifetime total but there is no tax owed.  The gift tax return is a separate form, not part of your annual tax return, and turbotax does not prepare it for you.  You can get it here https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-709

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 12

May require a gift tax return to be filed...but wont cause any tax liability to you or your parents.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Level 15

You don't owe gift tax unless your total lifetime gifts are more than $5.4 million, and the recipient does not owe tax (except for certain foreign transactions).  Gifts more than $14,000 per person per year must be reported so the IRS can track them against your lifetime total but there is no tax owed.  The gift tax return is a separate form, not part of your annual tax return, and turbotax does not prepare it for you.  You can get it here https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-709

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings