turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I moved out of the country in 2017, can I still deduct expenses? How do I add a foreign job to taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

If I moved out of the country in 2017, can I still deduct expenses? How do I add a foreign job to taxes?

It depends -

According to the IRS, if you moved due to a change in your job or business location, or because you started a new job or business, you may be able to deduct your reasonable moving expenses but not any expenses for meals. If your move was not in connect to a new employment, then the IRS will consider these moving expenses nondeductible personal expenses.

Please refer to these links related to moving expenses: IRS - Moving Expenses and Moving Expense Deduction

To enter deductible moving expenses in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "moving expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to moving expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

To report your foreign sourced earned income - you can report your foreign  sourced earned income (in US Dollars) under the foreign earned income section.

To enter foreign sourced earned income in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign earned income" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign earned income". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

You would be able to take a Foreign Tax Credit for taxes paid in Canada on Canadian income that is also taxed in the US.

The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. The IRS will normally accept any posted exchange rate that is used consistently. You can translate the foreign currency to U.S. dollars using the yearly average currency exchange rate for the tax year.  In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item. Please refer to the following IRS links for more information about Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates and Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies