Viking99

If I make donation to Salvation Army online in December 2017, and they pickup in January 2018, when is the donation year?

If I donate items to Salvation Army by their online form in December 2017, and they pickup in January 2018, what is the donation year? 

According to Salvation Army call center, they assured me that the donation is for the 2017 tax year; because "It is not my fault when they are able to pickup the donation that is waiting for them".

As far as I understand, their receipt will show the online December donation date (which I will receive after they have picked up the items in January).

It's 2018. 

You would still have possession of the goods on 12/31/2017, so could change your mind about donating.

"When donating used clothing or household goods, deduct the donation in the year you drop the items off or have them picked up."
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://finance.zacks.com/can-donate-charity-year-tax-deduction-last-year-9746.html">https://finance...>
It sounds like the Salvation Army is playing fast and loose with the rules.
Miss MCJ2

Because they are giving you credit in 2017, you would not be wrong to claim on 2017 taxes.  This is a judgment call and as long as you do not claim the same donation for both years you are not going anything illegal.