turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kimbondy

If I have a foreign bank account that only has RRSP and LIRA in it and I have not taken anything out of it does it still need to be declared on form 8938?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If I have a foreign bank account that only has RRSP and LIRA in it and I have not taken anything out of it does it still need to be declared on form 8938?

It depends.  If it meets the criteria of having to file the 8938 when converting to US Dollars, then yes, you would need to file the 8938.  Most foreign banks keep their local currency in their bank, so this does not exempt you from filing. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Thineshan

How do I find this form to fill out? 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

See this help article for more information about filing Form 8938.

Filing Form 8938 is only available to those using TurboTax Deluxe or higher. To get to the 8938 section in TurboTax, refer to the following instructions:

1. Open or continue your return if you're not already in it.
  2. Search for 8938 and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. On the Foreign Financial Assets screen, select Yes, I have foreign financial assets.
  4. Answer yes or no to living in a foreign country, and select Continue.
  5. Answer yes or no to amount of foreign financial assets, and select Continue.
  6. Carefully follow the instructions. If you need Form 8938, we'll fill it out for you.

If the form isn't available to you in TurboTax, see this IRS webpage for the form and instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies