If I donate my home to a CRT, can I still live in it? Does it have to be sold right away?

These are questions to ask the CRT ... this is not the forum to ask. 

You need to talk to an attorney.

If you are thinking of creating a charitable remainder trust so that you can donate your house to the trust, live in it for the rest of your life, and then pass the trust on to a beneficiary after you die, I’m sure you could structure the trust in that way.  But who pays the property taxes? Who pays for repairs and maintenance? Are you going to also  deposit cash into the trust to pay these other expenses?  There will also be difficulty in determining the value of the tax deduction, because the tax deduction for a donation to a charitable remainder trust is the present value of the donation discounted to account for your future use of the property or your money. That may be very tricky to figure out.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing