turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If a car is purchased using a co-buyer, can the co-buyer claim the vehicle if the buyer doesn't file?

I have purchased a vehicle and am currently making payments on it as a co-buyer. As is my understanding, both my name and the name of the primary buyer are both on the title and thus have full rights to the car, so one of us (but not both) can claim it for tax purposes—as the primary buyer does not file taxes, I should be able to do so.

Is this true, and if so, are there any caveats or concerns I should be aware of when entering the information for the vehicle?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If a car is purchased using a co-buyer, can the co-buyer claim the vehicle if the buyer doesn't file?

No, you can't do that.

The basic deduction rule is that you must be the one to actually pay it to deduct it.

Also, there are very few (almost none) deductions for your personal car. Personal property tax (only a few states have a personal property tax) and sales tax. The sales tax is only an alternative to deducting state income tax (not in addition). Both deductions require you to itemize deductions.. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, you can't do that.

The basic deduction rule is that you must be the one to actually pay it to deduct it.

Also, there are very few (almost none) deductions for your personal car. Personal property tax (only a few states have a personal property tax) and sales tax. The sales tax is only an alternative to deducting state income tax (not in addition). Both deductions require you to itemize deductions.. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies