Solved: If a car is purchased using a co-buyer, can the co-buyer claim the vehicle if the buyer doesn't file?

If a car is purchased using a co-buyer, can the co-buyer claim the vehicle if the buyer doesn't file?

I have purchased a vehicle and am currently making payments on it as a co-buyer. As is my understanding, both my name and the name of the primary buyer are both on the title and thus have full rights to the car, so one of us (but not both) can claim it for tax purposes—as the primary buyer does not file taxes, I should be able to do so.

Is this true, and if so, are there any caveats or concerns I should be aware of when entering the information for the vehicle?

No, you can't do that.

The basic deduction rule is that you must be the one to actually pay it to deduct it.

Also, there are very few (almost none) deductions for your personal car. Personal property tax (only a few states have a personal property tax) and sales tax. The sales tax is only an alternative to deducting state income tax (not in addition). Both deductions require you to itemize deductions.. 

No, you can't do that.