mrarg

I work as a preschool teacher can i claim expenses for that?

I work for a non-profit and do home visits to families in our agency. I am listed under Early Head Start and applied for a teaching permit. I buy supplies like paper, paint, etc to use in my visits. Can I claim that under teacher expenses even though I am not Kinder-12?
Marketstar

To claim the $250 Educator expense deduction, you must teach kindergarten-12th grade.

However, you may be able to claim your expenditure as an employee business expense..

To deduct employee business expenses, you must have enough itemized deductions (ie. Medical, mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable giving, ect) to exceed your Standard Deduction. If you itemize, your deduction is limited to the extent that it exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.

So, you may not gain a tax benefit from this deduction.

To report employee business expenses in TurboTax:

• Click My Account (Top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type in 2106

Highlight it and select GO, and follow the prompts.

See What is the Educator Expense deduction?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900100-what-is-the-educator-expense-deduction