lilycoughlin3

I will be making a one-time contribution to my HSA account (vs. pre-tax basis). They said I will receive Form 5498-SA by May 31st 2018. Can I file my tax before that?

For my HSA, I didn't set up a contribution through my employer on a "pre-tax" basis but I will be making a one-time contribution to my HSA account. They said I will receive Form 5498-SA by May 31st 2018. Do I have to wait until I receive Form 5498-SA or can I file tax before that as I will know how much I contributed?

dmertz

You don't need to wait for the Form 5498-SA.  You'll enter your personal HSA contribution based on your own records of the contribution.  Eventually (usually at least a year later) the IRS will cross-check your Form 8889 with the Form 5498-SA to make sure that you did not report a contribution that you did not make.

dmertz