Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

i was cheated by 4 handymen and they gave me fake business card, should i call police for rental house expenses?

yesterday (11/13/2023) a truck with 3 men came by , the 1st man gave me $105/lb estimate 2 lbs for seal all cement cracks and seal foundation. the 1st man gave me oral quotation $200-$300 and declared they can do many such as roof so gave me $500 oral estimation. the 2nd man did partially then told me he is the one do the job the fee is $1700(front door cement stairs reface and those 1st man delcared patch  all cement holes and cracks)+ $500 for roof (next day job).  he requested pay cash and later gave the cement job receipt with his business card. because it became datrk the 2nd man promised any missing places would finish tomorrow.

today(11/14/2023) they came with the 4the man as 2nd man boss; the 2nd man requested $300 to buy material and they would return back at 3:30pm but never show up also didn't gave me the roof job material receipt. the 4th man requested $800 to make some damaged holes as good looking as put more material make it even.

i told him this year budget used up (in fact they didnt do job well except the small piece sink cement). i did ask the 2nd man driver licence copy he told me didnt have. i did worry they may not come back, he kept saying they need mo   money definitely would finish jobs so can get more jobs from us and our neighbors. when they didnt show up i called him then realize it is fake business card (other people not him). should we report to police (i reported to police two cases before, police didnt help) so can have proof and count as rental house expenses or else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

i was cheated by 4 handymen and they gave me fake business card, should i call police for rental house expenses?

Not really an income tax question, but you could report the incident to the local police or sheriff's department.

Also, you could search for your state's authority that handles contractor fraud (such as the Attorney General's office, Department of Professional Regulation, et al).

thank you.

in 2001?  we suffered desntists family fraud and due to we were 2nd reported (i went to court records room found another female also was sued by same dentist. i called her and she was told by Department of Professional Regulation that she was the 1st case cant help. then she gave me the  dept contact phone number) . so i wrote down and faxed all victims listing finally accepted our case. but after she visted the dentist place then not even interviewed us or other victims but told me case closed.

this time i even dont know their real names, phone number... but a fake business card.

my 2 cases reported police one was accepted that in my new pot got 3 female photos, one is high school student ID card  and i listed the stolen value but in the end i was told the girl mom say sorry and her daughter was in another state university. case closed. another case wont accept by police and amazon, chase credit card dept who issued the card, police all refused to tell me who used my amazon card to pay twice his/her amazon membership fee. we suffer many years stolen like ghost (some one) secret lives in our house without ending. i really felt hopeless.

any one can give me how to make the case be accepted?

Sorry----we are here to help with income tax questions and questions about using tax software.  You have problems that we cannot help with here.   Seek legal advice or file a police report about the contractor fraud.   We cannot help with your amazon credit card problems, dentist issues, etc.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

not ask to solve old frauds cases but felt seems  there are couple ways but in reality no way is work.

Very sorry for your troubles.  But there is not an income tax solution to your problem.   TurboTax cannot help.   You need help from law enforcement--like the police.   And.....perhaps some advice is in order----NEVER pay cash to strangers in advance of the work they say they will perform.   Get copies of their business license, identification, references, etc. and check them out before you pay them anything.   And if you do have them do work for you, get a written contract/work proposal beforehand.   Get the work done and pay by check so you have a way to stop payment on the check or get help from your bank if they abscond without performing the work.   Be much less trusting -----  especially of strangers.   Use workers you know or who have performed work for someone else that you know who can give a solid and reliable reference.  Best of luck to you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies