Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrc

I want to make an after tax contribution to my HSA in 2019 for my 2018 HSA. Can I file my return before I receive a corrected HSA form or do I need to file an extension?

This contribution will result in a refund on my 2018 tax return.  If I do not make this contribution, I will owe taxes.  Does that make a difference?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I want to make an after tax contribution to my HSA in 2019 for my 2018 HSA. Can I file my return before I receive a corrected HSA form or do I need to file an extension?

Most banks don't even issue the form 5498-SA until May for this reason.  You can make the deposit anyway, just make sure to tell the bank this is a 2018 contribution.  Next year, when the 2019 forms are sent out, the IRS will check to see if your 2019 contribution (made for the 2018 tax year) matches your tax return.

You can file before making the deposit, just don't forget to make the deposit as promised, before April 15.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Most banks don't even issue the form 5498-SA until May for this reason.  You can make the deposit anyway, just make sure to tell the bank this is a 2018 contribution.  Next year, when the 2019 forms are sent out, the IRS will check to see if your 2019 contribution (made for the 2018 tax year) matches your tax return.

You can file before making the deposit, just don't forget to make the deposit as promised, before April 15.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies