turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MaryL14

I want to change the educational credit from American opportunity credit to the Lifetime Learning credit. Turbo tax won't let me change . It only allows to find the "best".

We have 4 more years after this with higher tuition to pay so we want the "less desirable option"  Even if it is not the "maximum".  Turbo Tax only allows us to use the "most desirable" option and I can't manually change it.  Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I want to change the educational credit from American opportunity credit to the Lifetime Learning credit. Turbo tax won't let me change . It only allows to find the "best".

You can override the Education Optimizer and select the education tax benefit you want to claim by using the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “letme” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to letme
  • Click on the blue “Jump to letme” link 

See the following TurboTax article for more details if the steps above do not work:  How do I override the TurboTax Education Optimizer selection?

@MaryL14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

"Box where you can type in “letme” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) "

Do not type quotation marks (").  Type letme  with no space between let and me. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies