Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've completed the Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion part, I believe it shows the amount removed from my Tax Due, but main page it still shows it not completed.

I've tried it multiple times and each time the main page says Not Started.  I've signed out and back in, multiple days, still seeing the same.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I've completed the Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion part, I believe it shows the amount removed from my Tax Due, but main page it still shows it not completed.

Have you excluded all income on your tax return due to the FEIE?  If so, the tax return will not have any taxable income entered and cannot be e-filed.

To e-file the return you will need to add $1 of income.  Enter $1 of Interest Income so that the return can be e-filed.  Enter any name for the payer of the income and $1 in box 1 of the Form 1099-INT.

Enter interest income in the Search box locate in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to interest income

On the screen Did you receive any interest income? Click on Yes

On the next screen click on Continue

On the screen Let's import your tax info Click on Change how I enter my form

On the screen How do you want to add your 1099‑INT? Click on Type it in myself

Hello,

No, not all my income is excluded as Foreign Income, just my salary.  I have income from Pensions, Stocks, DIVs and INTs also entered already and I have Tax due to pay.  It's not a problem filing so far, it's just that Foreign Earned Income part acts like I haven't completed it, when I have.  It doesn't say it's missing anything, with an error, just acts like I haven't started it.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd

Without being able to see what has been entered on the Form 2555 it is difficult to say what is wrong.  Since you are using the online editions you cannot view the Form 2555 until the TurboTax account has been paid.

Otherwise you will need to carefully go back through the screens for the FEIE to see if you can find something you either missed or need to change something already entered.

If you want to see the form then this is how to pay for the account without filing the 2020 tax return at this time.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2020 return at this time, click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return. On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Pay Now. The next screen will show a review of your Fees, click on Continue. Complete the next screen to pay by credit card and click Continue.

@Critter-3 or @pk Any thoughts?

I've gone back over that part many times now, making sure nothing was missing.  TurboTax doesn't show an error or say anything is missing from that section, it says Not Started, which is totally not true.  If I click on it again, it even already has the data entered I'd previously entered, so it is started and when it completed it said Congratulations and the tax amount reduced.  Still, when on that Wages page, it says Not Started.

I'm lost as to why it's saying that, so I hope it gives me the option to review the Return before submission, so I can see the 2555 deduction on it.

Ok....Try deleting the Form 2555 and start entering the FEIE from the beginning to see if you get the same type of error.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies