Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yoli
Returning Member

Home office with solar panels electricity expense

I used to expense 15% of my home electricity bill as I used a room in my home as an office, however we installed solar panels a couple years ago and our electricity bill is now minimal. 

How do I reflect in my business expenses the fact that I continue to use electricity that is no longer provided by the local utility company, but by my solar panels?

Is it fair to continue to expense approximately the same amount as in prior years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

No, you wouldn't want to expense the same amount (for electricity) as in prior years.

You suggest that, although solar panels cause your electricity bill to be minimal, there is still an electricity bill.  Just use the appropriate percentage of that bill -- 15%, if that still holds.

yoli
Returning Member

Thanks for the prompt answer, John. There's a logic in the approach you suggest, however it doesn't account for the fact that there's a significant upfront investment on my part and in doing so I've become my own electricity provider. It would appear fair that, as far as my business is concerned, it pays a going market rate, rather than a mere ~5% of what it'd have to pay to the utility company.

Or is that not how the IRS would see it?
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense... from an IRS perspective, I think they'd allow only the smaller amount.  That's just my thinking, and if you look at various IRS pubs I don't think you'll find a satisfying answer, one way or the other.  I think your risk in reporting the higher amount would be minimal, as long as there's nothing really hinky about your Schedule C or Home Office Expenses.  On a (sorta) unrelated subject -- are you claiming the energy credit for the solar panels, assuming you're eligible?
yoli
Returning Member

Thanks, John!
Yes, we did deduct the 30% federal tax credit from our taxes in 2017, the year we installed the solar panels.
Indeed, I have not come across a definitive answer to that particular question, yet to me, it seems only fair that my business pays market rate for what it receives.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies