Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am self-employed & have claimed my vehicle under my business in previous years. Last year, I did Postmates deliveries on the side. Can I claim the vehicle for both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I am self-employed & have claimed my vehicle under my business in previous years. Last year, I did Postmates deliveries on the side. Can I claim the vehicle for both?

Yes you can do that. It adds a bit of complication since you will need to allocate the miles and other expense to each of the businesses. Each business should have their own Schedule C. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Yes you can do that. It adds a bit of complication since you will need to allocate the miles and other expense to each of the businesses. Each business should have their own Schedule C. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks! I kept my mileage tracked separately, but if I'm not doing the standard deduction the gas, vehicle repair, and such were not tracked separately. It's not really feasible to calculate gas separately because a tank was used for both business lines and personal use. Would I enter the same amounts for these things in both places?

Also, I know that if I took standard deduction previously then I need to continue to do so; however, to the best of my recollection I did not. Is there a way I can tell whether I did by looking at my previous returns?

I still need help with the questions in my comment above!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies