turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold my primary residence for a gain of $42,000 that I lived in for 13 years. TurboTax calculating that I owe tax on this sale?

No sale of a previous primary residence within 2 years. Taxable income less than 2K, on SSI. Property not used for a rental or home office. Filing single. I thought it was excluded up to $250,000.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenaC

I sold my primary residence for a gain of $42,000 that I lived in for 13 years. TurboTax calculating that I owe tax on this sale?

Yes, from the information above, you should not be getting taxed. You may have entered the home sale as an investment versus a personal residence home sale. 

To enter your personal residence home sale, open (continue) your return in TurboTax. If you’re not sure you’re in your return, click the orange Take me to my return button. 

1. In the upper right corner, search for home sale and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes to "Did you sell or have your home foreclosed in 2016?" 
  3. Follow the screens to enter your info.

You won’t pay taxes on the first $250,000 (also known as a gain) you make from the sale of your home. If you file jointly, you won’t pay taxes on the first $500,000. 

That income is free and clear as long as: 

• You owned the home
  • It was your main home for two years or more within the five years leading up to the sale
  • You waited at least two years between selling your primary home and excluding your first $250,000 or $500,000 from taxes. In other words, you may buy and sell as many primary homes as you'd like, but you'll only get this tax benefit every two years.  

When you sell a second home, the tax situation is different. Here's that info.

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies