turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold inherited stock to assist my children in the purchase of their first home. Is any part of this deductible from my taxes?

I gave each of them $15,000, the maximun I could under law.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I sold inherited stock to assist my children in the purchase of their first home. Is any part of this deductible from my taxes?

$15,000 is only the maximum before you have to file a Gift Tax return. However, no gift taxes are usually due

No deduction but but no tax liability either. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You have no tax liability (and no deduction) for the gifts to your children. You don't even report the gifts anywhere. But you do have to report the sale of the stock. If you had a gain (profit) from the sale, you might have to pay tax on the gain.

Why no capital gains tax? Or did you mean the kids don't have to pay taxes on the gift?

Yes, capital gains would be taxed.  I was thinking the stock was given as a gift in which case there would not have been any capital gains.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies