If you want to look at the ENERGY STAR certified roof list, look in the "Produt Type" column for:
Metal roofs will have a Type = "Metal"
Asphalt Roofs will have a Type =
- "Shingle" which are typically used on sloped residential roofs.
- "Modified Bitumen" which is a rolled roof product generally used on flat roofs.
ENERGY STAR certified roof products list
See https://energystar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212109427-Is-there-a-tax-credit-for-roofs- "Metal roofs with appropriate pigmented coatings" and "asphalt roofs with appropriate cooling granules" that also meet ENERGY STAR requirements are eligible.
Energy Credits are entered in the Deductions & Credits section:
- Open your return, if you don't already have it open.
- In TurboTax, search for energy improvements. (Do not search for "energy credit," as this will take you to the wrong place in the program.)
- Click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- At the bottom of the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and continue. Follow the on-screen instructions.
I finally found the Manufacturer's Cert Statement at gaf.com. GAF Timberline HD Reflector Series is not covered. The only ones certified are the 3 colors of Timberline Cool Series, and 4 other GAF products - mostly white. Bummer. I should have done my tax research in advance. Missed a $3000 tax credit.