Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lite339

I replaced my roof with gaf timberline asphalt Reflector series shingles which contains light reflecting granules. Does that count for deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenaC

I replaced my roof with gaf timberline asphalt Reflector series shingles which contains light reflecting granules. Does that count for deduction?

Check with the manufacturer, and ask them to provide a Manufacturer's Certification Statement. You must have a Manufacturer's Certification Statement to qualify for the roof energy credit.

If you want to look at the ENERGY STAR certified roof list, look in the "Produt Type" column for:

Metal roofs will have a Type = "Metal" 

Asphalt Roofs will have a Type =

• "Shingle" which are typically used on sloped residential roofs. 
  • "Modified Bitumen" which is a rolled roof product generally used on flat roofs. 

ENERGY STAR certified roof products list

See https://energystar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212109427-Is-there-a-tax-credit-for-roofs-  "Metal roofs with appropriate pigmented coatings" and "asphalt roofs with appropriate cooling granules" that also meet ENERGY STAR requirements are eligible.

Energy Credits are entered in the Deductions & Credits section:

• Open your return, if you don't already have it open.
  • In TurboTax, search for energy improvements. (Do not search for "energy credit," as this will take you to the wrong place in the program.)
  • Click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  • At the bottom of the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and continue. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Related Information:

I finally found the Manufacturer's Cert Statement at gaf.com.  GAF Timberline HD Reflector Series is not covered. The only ones certified are the 3 colors of Timberline Cool Series, and 4 other GAF products - mostly white. Bummer. I should have done my tax research in advance. Missed a $3000 tax credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies