turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rented my vacation home for 2 months in 2020, but received the full payment in 2019. Do I apply the 2020 rental days in the calculation of personal vs rental use for the 2019 tax year or do I wait to see if there is another rental payment in 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I rented my vacation home for 2 months in 2020, but received the full payment in 2019. Do I apply the 2020 rental days in the calculation of personal vs rental use for the 2019 tax year or do I wait to see if there is another rental payment in 2020?

Not 100% sure about rental income, but I know in my business I claim income when it is made (I also use the cash basis for reporting).  I do believe that you are supposed to report the income when it was received in your hands.

Agree that the income needs to be reported in 2019. The problem that I have is working through the expense deductions for rentals, ie taxes, HOA fees, property manager costs etc.  The IRS method apparently accounts for personal vs rental use in determining how to allocate these.  The problem is that the income was received in 2019, but the rental use is in 2020.  It is not clear whether I will have another renter in 2020 to declare rental income for 2020 going forward.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You report rental income in the year you received the income.  The income you received in 2019 will be reported on your 2019 tax return NOT your 2020 tax return.

Rental income/calculations that apply or occur in 2020 will be reported on your 2020 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies