Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I refinance a house with a friend I had a falling out with, he owes me $20,000 and is refinancing again to get me off title. How can I get my money back ?

He agreed to have the bank pay me directly but said it’s to my benefit not to have my name on the closing docs and I should let him pay me after. Which he probably might stiff me and pay me only $10000
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I refinance a house with a friend I had a falling out with, he owes me $20,000 and is refinancing again to get me off title. How can I get my money back ?

He said I will pay a lot of taxes if my name is on the closing statement 

We answer income tax question in this user forum.  You have a legal issue.  Seek advice from an attorney,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

GET A LAWYER!

Even if you owed taxes (not much) would you rather pay  a small amount of tax, or never get any money.

You bought a house together, you want him to "buy you out" of your half.  You need your name off the title, off the mortgage, and you want your money.  If you sign a quit-claim deed to take your name off the title, without a check in hand, you won't have any leverage to force him to pay you.  You can get a real estate lawyer to protect you for $500-$750, which is less than 10% of your hoped-for profit.  Well worth it.

For taxes, you will owe capital gains tax but only on your gain.  Here's an example of how that works:

Suppose you bought the house for $100,000, you each put down $10,000 and had an $80,000 mortgage, and you are 50/50 owners.  Your "cost basis" in the house is $50,000.

The house is worth $120,000 today.  You will sell him your share for $60,000.  After paying off the old mortgage, he owes you $20,000, which is your share of the downpayment plus your share of the "gain" in value from the original purchase.

Since your cost for your share was $50,000 and your proceeds for your share were $60,000, you have a $10,000 capital gain.  You don't pay any tax on that capital gain as long as you lived in the house as your main home for at least 2 years, and you moved out less than 3 years ago.  If it was not your main residence, then capital gains tax is 15% for most people, as long as you owned the house more than 1 year.  15% of the gain would be $1500, plus another $500 for the lawyer, means you net $18,000.  Instead of getting whatever he feels like he can get away with after he owns the home free and clear.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies