I received a 1099MISC form for providing care for ...

phillip_nc

I received a 1099MISC form for providing care for my mother in my home, can I deduct the expenses associated (transportation, food, utilities, etc). If so, where do I enter the information?

npierson7

No, you can't deduct expenses against income reported on Form 1099-MISC. You should report the income on line 21 of Form 1040.  Please go to Federal Taxes>Wages & Income>Less Common Income>Miscellaneous Income>Other Reportable Income to report this income.

Family Caregivers

phillip_nc

Hi, I found the answer and it does not agree with you answer to my question. Schedule E links the money reported on the 1099 MISC form to Schedule E. On Schedule E you can list expenses against the misc income.

MaryM428

Schedule E is for reporting income from rentals and royalties.  

The 1099-MISC can be reported as one for for the 1099-MISC and a second entry to adjust for the expenses.

• Less Common Income
  • Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Other reportable income

To report the expenses associated with the 1099-MISC

@phillip_nc

• Less Common Income
  • Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Other reportable income
  • Enter the 1099-MISC information, but in place of the amount you were paid, enter the amount of the expenses with a minus sign in front of the number and a description of adjustment for expenses for 1099-MISC.