I received a 1099MISC form for providing care for ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phillip_nc

I received a 1099MISC form for providing care for my mother in my home, can I deduct the expenses associated (transportation, food, utilities, etc). If so, where do I enter the information?

3 Replies
npierson7
Level 1

I received a 1099MISC form for providing care for my mother in my home, can I deduct the expenses associated (transportation, food, utilities, etc). If so, where do I enter the information?

No, you can't deduct expenses against income reported on Form 1099-MISC. You should report the income on line 21 of Form 1040.  Please go to Federal Taxes>Wages & Income>Less Common Income>Miscellaneous Income>Other Reportable Income to report this income.

Family Caregivers

phillip_nc

Hi, I found the answer and it does not agree with you answer to my question. Schedule E links the money reported on the 1099 MISC form to Schedule E. On Schedule E you can list expenses against the misc income.

MaryM428
Level 6

Schedule E is for reporting income from rentals and royalties.  

The 1099-MISC can be reported as one for for the 1099-MISC and a second entry to adjust for the expenses.

• Less Common Income
  • Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Other reportable income

To report the expenses associated with the 1099-MISC

@phillip_nc

• Less Common Income
  • Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Other reportable income
  • Enter the 1099-MISC information, but in place of the amount you were paid, enter the amount of the expenses with a minus sign in front of the number and a description of adjustment for expenses for 1099-MISC.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings