turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shalls7

I received a 1099K for personal property sold through PayPal. When I itemize the cost of personal property items, it calculates a loss in turbotax.

I have no idea where to put the costs of personal items where it doesn't populate a loss. I am not really self employed but it pushed me here because of the 1099k. I keep getting comflicting answers on whether or not I need to file it at all. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies

I received a 1099K for personal property sold through PayPal. When I itemize the cost of personal property items, it calculates a loss in turbotax.

TurboTax, completely erroneously, associates a 1099-K with "self employment" income.  I expect that 1099-K's probably are most commonly associated with self employment income, but that's not universally the case.

As to your "conflicting answers" statement, well not everything called an "answer" is correct but, too, users most commonly don't post enough information with their questions and "guesses" have to be made.

So let's start with this:  If I recall PayPal used to issue a 1099-K in instances where $20K or more were processed and/or in excess of 200 transactions were processed.   If that's still the case, that's a LOT of money and a LOT of transactions, which I least suggests a profit-seeking motive.  So what,exactly, was the nature of the "personal property" sold?  How did you acquire this personal property.  Why were you selling it?  Where were you selling it?  Where are you entering this information in TurboTax?  It seems that if you're only entering "revenue" numbers - the information off the 1099-K - there's no way you can have a "loss" and entering costs associated with this revenue isn't going to fix that.  You need to explain what's going on here.

shalls7

Thank you for your help TomYoung. I can explain more details and hopefully that will help because I am getting tons of conflicting answers and I am so confused about what I need to do. Yes, my 1099K was for $20,400 for last year. I spend a lot of money on children's boutique clothing and clothing for myself. If you don't understand the expense associated with the clothing I buy then I completely understand why this total doesn't make sense. I buy these boutique clothing every release and my cost for these clothing are very high. I will then sell the items usually after a couple of weeks or before the next release because that is what I like to do. I usually sell for 1/2 of the cost or 3/4 of the cost if I am lucky. I then use those funds from selling the clothes to purchase more from the next release. I do not make a profit but it adds up quickly. I also sell my boutique clothing but again for less than I paid for them. The other total in this amount was for a MLM company I sold products for but that was only about $1,000 of the total as I only sold it for a couple of months.  PayPal fees are included in the total and cashback bonuses from ebates and shipping fees are included in the total. It is my understanding that I am responsible for deducting those amounts from the 1099k total as well.
maglib
Level 11

to reports gains/losses to the extent allowed go to type "Investment Income" without the quotes in the search box, select "Investment Income, gains & Losses" and choose to JUMP TO,  It will ask if you sold any invesments, say yes, select NO to the 1099-B question, Choose "Personal Items".  See added info based on your additonal comments to separate types of income to report.

Do note that losses on personal use items are not deductible....  but you still must report the 1099K and this is where you do if you were just selling personal items you owned.

All the best.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
maglib
Level 11

@shalls7 follow the reply above for the clothes, you can lump them into 2 buckets Long Term sales and short term sales (held for or less than 1 year) as needed and enter various as purchase dates,  You can enter expenses during the interview.  MLM you can report as Hobby income following these directions <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5675605">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5675605</a>    but then expenses are only deductible as itemized deductons or you have to enter them as self employment income following these directions <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4944762">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4944762</a> .
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
shalls7

I am so confused. I did not receive a 1099-K from PayPal this year even though it exceeded the requirements. How do I proceed?
VSandy

so I sold many of my designer handbag and shoes for me and my sister in law this year and didn’t realize I went over 20k until i received a 1099k also because of amazon rebates test item was almost 5k. How should I go about claiming/deducting since none of these were for profit/business income since they are old item I did lose value in everything..... ?

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

If you are undertaking this activity with a profit motive, then you can report the money you received as sales associated with a business. In this case, you would need to set up a business in the TurboTax "Self-Employed" product. You will be able to enter the cost of your items purchased as "cost of goods sold", so you will not be taxed on the full amount of money you received from the items you sold. If you sustain a loss, it will be deductible on your tax return.

If you do not have a profit motive, then you must report the income as "Other Income" in the "Income and Expenses" section, then "Less Common Income" then "Miscellaneous Income" and then "Hobby Income and Expenses."

Please keep in mind that if your report the activity as a business and deduct losses from it, you cannot do this for more than a few years or the IRS may reclassify the activity as a hobby and disallow the losses you claimed in prior years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

What did u end up doing in 2020 did you report this?

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

The loss that TurboTax calculates likely does not reduce your adjusted gross income (AGI). 

Losses from the sale or exchange of property held for personal use is not deductible.   See IRS publication 544 Sale and Other Dispositions of Assets or this TurboTax Best Answer.

Personal-use property.

Loss from the sale or exchange of property held for personal use is not deductible.

You can review the 1040 in TurboTax Online by following these directions. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click on View Tax Summary.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on State Tax Summary to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Preview My 1040 to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Back to return.

You may view your full tax returns prior to filing after you have paid for the software.

I received a 1099K due to the state of residency (MA) where any amount over $600.00 requires PP notification and development of a form.  I did not by any means surpass $20k or transactions.  I only had a dozen transactions....

I sold used parts/accessories I had for/from my car that had been sitting around for many years, like 10-15 yrs......They were sold to members in my car club.

Technically speaking, I already paid for these parts items once and THAT income was already reported and taxed upon in a prior 1040A years ago...Now I am just getting that money back again spent many years ago and most of it now at a loss..  How can this be "taxable income" for the IRS when a personally owned / used 10 yr old auto parts sell for less amount than originally purchased....

robby_d1
Returning Member

Same issue. I moved to Virginia midway this year and have received a 1099k for selling items ive owned for a while. How do i file for this?

How did you handle this last year, I have a lot of income from product test/sample cashback etc, besides some Ebay sales.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

The sale of personal property is reported as a sale of a capital item.  The IRS will tax you if there is a gain.  The IRS will disallow a loss on the sale of personal property.

See IRS Publication 544 Sale and Other Dispositions of Assets or this TurboTax Best Answer.

Personal-use property.

Loss from the sale or exchange of property held for personal use is not deductible.

If you bought item A ten years ago for $100 and sold it in 2020 for $500, there is a taxable capital gain, reported on Schedule D.

If you bought item B ten years ago for $100 and sold it in 2020 for $50, there is a taxable loss and no taxable event.

Thanks @JamesG1  The 1099-k from paypal also includes money that is not income from profit, e.g. money for free product trials (e.g. Rebatekey) for items you pay for but you get the money back via Paypal, or other online survey money (otherwise below 1099-MISC thresholds). How can one 'deduct' these from the total 1099-K number as they are not income, and in fact dont have anything to do with the' business'.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies