turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

john-hein

I received a 1099-s from sale of my LLC interest in a shopping center property, It included in Gross Proceeds the mortgage loan payoff. How do I handle the mortgage?

I received a 1099-s form for the sale of my LLC interest in a shopping center rental property, It included in Gross Proceeds the mortgage loan payoff as well as the net cash I received. How do I treat the mortgage loan payoff amount when calculating the gain/loss? I actually incurred a loss after all expenses of the sale. I put in $255,000 and received $211,000 in the end but I did have ~$80,000 in accumulated depreciation, so I understand that this is recaptured, so net effect is about a $36,000 adjusted gain. So do I simply subtract the loan payoff amount on my tax form for cash proceeds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I received a 1099-s from sale of my LLC interest in a shopping center property, It included in Gross Proceeds the mortgage loan payoff. How do I handle the mortgage?

No, the mortgage payoff is not included in the calculation of gain/loss on the sale. You may deduct mortgage interest that you paid on Schedule E. But the mortgage principal is not part of the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

No, the mortgage payoff is not included in the calculation of gain/loss on the sale. You may deduct mortgage interest that you paid on Schedule E. But the mortgage principal is not part of the sale.

john-hein

Thank you PatriciaV - so to be clear, when I fill in the "cash" sale amount on TurboTax, I don't use the 1099s figure anywhere, I simply subtract the mortgage amount paid off from the 1099s amount?  Is this correct?
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

No, enter the full amount from Form 1099-S as the sales proceeds. You will not enter the mortgage payoff at all on your tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies