gmas847

I purchased a new construction home in 2020 that is energy efficient including gas and appliances, does that qualify for any energy tax credits?

JohnW152

No, energy credits are only available for improvements you make after you buy or build a house.

[Edited 2/24/2021 | 10:36 am PST]

No.  You may be able to claim a tax credit for items you install after you own the home.  You are not entitled to any tax credit for efficient items installed by the builder before you owned the home, although the builder may have received some credits.

I slightly misspoke above.

There are two energy efficiency credits.

The nonbusiness energy property credit covers efficient doors, windows, hot water, and heating and cooling (heat pump or furnace and A/C).   This credit can only be claimed for upgrades and improvements you pay to a home you already own.  

The residential energy efficient property credit covers installation of alternative energy sources like solar, wind, geothermal and fuel cell power generation.  This credit is available for items installed to a home under construction, as long as you pay the cost.  If the builder installs it and you pay the builder a higher price at closing, you can't use the credit.  But if you contract with the solar or geothermal installer and pay for the installation yourself, you can claim the credit even if the home is under construction at the time.

There is no federal tax credit for other energy efficient appliances such as refrigerator or washer/dryer, no matter when you purchased them. 

See the instructions to form 5696.

@gmas847 

@JohnW152 

gmas847

Thank you