Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid moving expenses in 2017. My new employer is reimbursing me for about half of them in 2018. Can I deduct the non-reimbursed expenses when I file 2017 taxes?

I moved in late 2017, and my new employer is reimbursing me for about half those expenses in 2018. It seems simplest to wait until I file 2018 taxes to list all the expenses and reimbursements, but I'd like to deduct what's not being reimbursed as soon as possible. What are the implications of essentially spreading those expenses over two tax years?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I paid moving expenses in 2017. My new employer is reimbursing me for about half of them in 2018. Can I deduct the non-reimbursed expenses when I file 2017 taxes?

You deduct all of them on your 2017 return, and then claim the reimbursement on your 2018 return. 

So what would that reimbursement be taxable if I deducted all those expenses in the year prior?

Normally, yes.  Google "Tax Benefit Rule."

OK, so would it make sense to hold off reporting half of those moving expenses until the tax year that I get reimbursed (and report the other half for this tax year)? Or must I report them all at once?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies