Solved: I paid mortgage insurance last year (shown on annual statement), however my 1098 shows nothing in box 5 under "Mortgage Insurance Premiums." Do I enter paid amount or no?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I paid mortgage insurance last year (shown on annual statement), however my 1098 shows nothing in box 5 under "Mortgage Insurance Premiums." Do I enter paid amount or no?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I paid mortgage insurance last year (shown on annual statement), however my 1098 shows nothing in box 5 under "Mortgage Insurance Premiums." Do I enter paid amount or no?

If you paid mortgage insurance (which is different than insurance on the home itself) you should enter it on the tax return, regardless of it being on the 1098.

You just need to have proof of the payments (your statements) should you ever be asked by IRS.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

If you paid mortgage insurance (which is different than insurance on the home itself) you should enter it on the tax return, regardless of it being on the 1098.

You just need to have proof of the payments (your statements) should you ever be asked by IRS.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings