I owe back federal taxes, but I claimed my Recover...

mcglynnfamilytax

I owe back federal taxes, but I claimed my Recovery Rebate Credit for both stimulus checks when I filed this yrs taxes for my 3 dependents, will the irs take my $ ? Or no

On the irs site that u can check ur refund status, it says my refund might be taken for back taxes .. but I’m guessing that a standard system notification - and I was under the assumption that the RRC wouldn’t go to past federal tax debt owed
KrisD15

No.

It is my understanding that the stimulus portion will not be reduced. 

AmeliesUncle

Yes, the IRS is able to take it. 

Although they were not allowed to take the Advance credit (EIP), they ARE allowed to take it if you claim the Recovery Rebate on your tax return.

fanfare

according to the FAQ, if you have a refund of 2200, and Line 30 is $1800, then $400 can be taken for back taxes.

If you have no refund, then you get nothing.

AmeliesUncle

Fanfare, what FAQ says that?