Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a makeup artist for a company & received a 1099MISC which I filed. I kept receipts from supplies & want to write them off as well as miles traveled, how do I do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I'm a makeup artist for a company & received a 1099MISC which I filed. I kept receipts from supplies & want to write them off as well as miles traveled, how do I do it?

You must upgrade to TT Self-employed.

"want to write them off as well as miles traveled" Note that you are in fact required to do so under the law.
Hal_Al
Level 15

"I'm a makeup artist for a company" sounds like you're an employee.  But, "received a 1099MISC which I filed" means you are self employed. 
Although it may be news to you that you “have a business” (and most of the other people who get their first 1099-MISC); The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099-Misc income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-MISC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C (or C-EZ)
for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income.  The expenses, as well as the income, go on Schedule C.

Self-Employed expenses of any amount will  require the  TurboTax Online Self-Employed version

Enter the expenses, In TurboTax,  at:

- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Business Items

- Business Income & Expenses (Sch C)

You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $400. These types of payments are frequently done this way. Your "employer" is not the only one.

The self employed get to deduct expenses like supplies and mileage. Employees do not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies