Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gggmft

I lease office space for my therapy practice. I sublet one office in the suite. Do I report the income from the sublet on Schedule E and the rent I pay on Schedule C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I lease office space for my therapy practice. I sublet one office in the suite. Do I report the income from the sublet on Schedule E and the rent I pay on Schedule C?

Maybe.  A lot will depend on local law treatments as much as the nature of the income itself.  Most rental income is not subject to self-employment tax, whereas business income is.  An office sublet can be considered rental income independent of the remaining business income, but the expenses must be consistent also.  Therefore, if you claim the rental on Schedule E, you cannot claim the entire office rent on Schedule C, but must allocate the office rental expense between the percentage of the office receiving business income (Schedule C) and the percentage that you are renting.

Example:  You are renting the office for $2500/month, and 20% of the floor space is what you are subletting.  You charge your sublesee $800/month for the space, and receive this amount all 12 months.

Your rental income is $9600 ($800 x 12 months), and your rental expense is $6000 (20% of office space, or $500/month for 12 months).  Your Business Expense deduction is $24000 (remaining $2000/month for 12 months).

Again, though, you want to make sure that your treatment is consistent with local law as well.  If your locality treats your business rental as active rather than passive income, you would report the income on Schedule C as well.  (The entire rent would also be deducted on Schedule C in this case also).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gggmft

Thanks for responding.  We don't set rates based on square footage for subletters.  It is based on how many days a week they use the office, which varies.  If I have paid a total of $20,000 to the landlord for rent, and I've collected a total of $10,000 in rental payments, do I just declare $10,000 as a business expense on schedule C?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies