greenjang

I have used a postpartum doula service. Would the expenses be eligible to claim Child and Dependent Care Credit?

When I read the IRS document regarding Child and Dependent Care Expenses (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf), the postpartum doula service seems to be eligible for the credit.

But since the service is not specifically listed in the document, I would like to make sure.

Could anyone let me know if the postpartum doula expenses are eligible to claim Child and Dependent Care Credit?

Thank you very much.

Bsch4477

Was the service provided so that you could return to work?  

greenjang

Yes, the service allows my wife and me to work.

Bsch4477

The problem I have with doula care is that it is designed to care and support the mother during delivery and post partum as opposed to providing child care.  Can you explain how the doula service was used?

greenjang

The doula care designed to care and support the mother during delivery is Birth Doula.

I am not sure how other postpartum doula care does, but my postpartum doula mainly provides baby care (so we can work).

She also does light chores relevant to baby care, such as washing baby bottles and nipples.

I haven't hired a nanny but I think what my doula does is like what nannies do.

However, she is not a nanny because postpartum doula service is only part of her business.

For her other clients, she also provides other services, including a birth doula, lactation consultant, and birth classes.

Bsch4477

If her main function is to provide baby care so that you both can work that should qualify for child care credit if otherwise qualified. 

Alnemo

We had a post-birth doula who helped care for our baby while my wife was on maternity leave but while I was working. She pinched in on baby care so I could go back to work. Would these services fall under the child care tax credit?

Bsch4477

No. Both of you would have to work to qualify for child care credit.