Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have three separate 1098 forms from the same house and was wondering how to properly enter them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I have three separate 1098 forms from the same house and was wondering how to properly enter them.

I'm guessing here that you did a refi in 2020. Then in that same year the bank you refi'd with sold the loan to another mortgage holder.

You don't say if this pretains to your primary residence, rental property, or some other type of real estate. It "could" matter on how/where you enter them. But here's the basics.

Enter the 1098 for the old loan first.

Next, enter the 1098 for the new loan and "make" "sure" you check the box to indicate that this is a refi.

Finally, enter the 1098 you received from the current owner of the new loan (the mortgage lender that now owns that mortgage).  ON the last one, you do "NOT" check the box to indicate it's a refi.

Double-check things to confirm that the program did not "double up" on your total outstanding mortgage balance. This would only matter tax-wise if the total outstanding mortgage balance (on SCH A only) exceeds $750K.

-I would expect the 1098 from the old lender to show a positive amount in box 2.

-I would expect the 1098 from the refi lender to show a positive amount in box 2.

-I would expect the 1098 from the newest lender to show a ZERO in box 2.

Box two amounts for the last two "could" be reversed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies