Solved: I have taken the childcare reimbursement for the past few years for a total of 5,000 paid out through the year. Does this make me ineligible to claim the 3k per child?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have taken the childcare reimbursement for the past few years for a total of 5,000 paid out through the year. Does this make me ineligible to claim the 3k per child?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I have taken the childcare reimbursement for the past few years for a total of 5,000 paid out through the year. Does this make me ineligible to claim the 3k per child?

Your maximum eligible expenses for the dependent care credit is $3000 for one qualifying child and $6000 for 2 or more qualifying children.  The maximum FSA benefit is $5000.  If you have one child in care, you have already maxed out your benefit by using the $5000 FSA and can't get any additional credit.  If you have 2 or more children in care, the remaining $1000 difference between the FSA limit and the dependent credit limit is eligible for the credit. Turbotax will claim it automatically.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 15

Do you mean a flexible spending account at work? Or something else.
*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

yes
Level 15

Your maximum eligible expenses for the dependent care credit is $3000 for one qualifying child and $6000 for 2 or more qualifying children.  The maximum FSA benefit is $5000.  If you have one child in care, you have already maxed out your benefit by using the $5000 FSA and can't get any additional credit.  If you have 2 or more children in care, the remaining $1000 difference between the FSA limit and the dependent credit limit is eligible for the credit. Turbotax will claim it automatically.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings