Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have purchased and fixed a couple of things on my home and wanted to put it on my taxes. where do I put this at?

fencing,heater system, electrical fuse box and wiring
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I have purchased and fixed a couple of things on my home and wanted to put it on my taxes. where do I put this at?

Everything you mention above is a property improvement that adds to the cost-basis of the property. If this is on your primary residence, you have nothing to report or claim on your tax return for it. However, you should file all your receipts and paperwork with the HUD-1 statement you received when the property was initially purchased. All your property improvements add to your cost-basis, and that will be a big help in the tax year you sell the property or convert it to a rental.

One thing you might want to check out though, is the new heating system. If it qualifies for an energy credit, then you can claim the credit if this is your primary residence, if the new system qualifies. If it qualifies, the manufacturer, distributor or installer would have provided you with an energy credit certificate for it, or some other sort of documentation to support an energy credit claim. Those credits are claimed under the Deductions & Credits tab if you qualify, in the Your Home section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies