Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

juttymoe

I have not worked this year due to car accident. How would I repay my first time home buyers credit without w2s? I did get a settlement plan on paying it in full.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

I have not worked this year due to car accident. How would I repay my first time home buyers credit without w2s? I did get a settlement plan on paying it in full.

If you have the funds available for the credit repayment by April 18, 2017, you may want to consider filing and making the payment on your return - it will probably be the simplest solution.

If filing a return for the repayment is not a (good) option, it would be a good idea to contact the IRS directly to let them know how you plan to make the payment this year.  

It can be almost impossible to get through using the national (800-829-1040) phone number.  If possible, you may want to contact your local IRS office.

Please see this website (https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/contact-your-local-irs-office) to locate your local IRS office.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmyT

Do you plan to file an income tax return for 2016?
juttymoe

Thanks for the reply. I do not plan to file due to I have not worked but I do plan on paying the full amount of my credit with the money I have received from my car accident settlement
AmyT

If you have the funds available for the credit repayment by April 18, 2017, you may want to consider filing and making the payment on your return - it will probably be the simplest solution.

If filing a return for the repayment is not a (good) option, it would be a good idea to contact the IRS directly to let them know how you plan to make the payment this year.  

It can be almost impossible to get through using the national (800-829-1040) phone number.  If possible, you may want to contact your local IRS office.

Please see this website (https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/contact-your-local-irs-office) to locate your local IRS office.  

You actually have a filing requirement if any of the first time homebuyer credit is subject to recapture (i.e. repayment). Besides the gross income rules, there are several other things which may require a filing of a return.  See the link below for IRS Form 1040 Instructions (page 10, Chart C - Other Situations when you must file.) You will prepare your return and the pay the recapture amount with your return.

IRS Form 1040 instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies