Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have an account in ICICI Indian Bank, with NRI and NRO accounts balance < $10000, interest = $22. Can amounts in WTax.Pd be considered Foreign tax paid?

ICICI Indian bank only has interest certificate but not 1099. But I see W.TaxPd in my statement, and I think that may be taxes witheld. I am not filing taxes in India as the amount is too small. Can I add up all the amounts in W.TaxPd and enter that as Foreign Tax paid in TurboTax 1099? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I have an account in ICICI Indian Bank, with NRI and NRO accounts balance < $10000, interest = $22. Can amounts in WTax.Pd be considered Foreign tax paid?

As long as the tax paid on the bank interest is not more than 20% of the interest income for resident accounts and 30.9% tax on the interest earned for NRO then it would make sense to claim the tax as the foreign tax paid on foreign interest income.  

Thank you so much! To confirm my understanding, the interest my account was $22.53 and the WTax.pd in my statement shows a total of $5.52, though I didn't file any taxes in India I am a U.S. citizen and that amount felt too small to file taxes, as that is the only account I have in India. Please confirm if it still okay to enter $.5.52 as foreign tax paid. Thanks again.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, I would go ahead and take the foreign tax on the interest.

Thanks a lot again! That was super helpful!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies