pgribben3

I have a settlement statement from the sale of a home. I am unsure what to include, besides the prorated city and county taxes, on my current tax return. Can you help?

KarenL2

Yes, you would include the prorated taxes.  Any interest would already be on your Form 1098 from your mortgage company.  Also, perhaps the following will help -

If you are required to report your home sale, there will be a space in the software to enter the date sold, Selling Price, and Sales Expenses (see below).  You can deduct the items listed below in Sales Expenses. You cannot deduct normal maintenance items, but you can deduct expenses to prepare the home for sale.

If all of the following apply, you don't need to report it.

• You lived in the home as your main home for at 2 of the 5 years preceding the sale.
  • Your "net" profit from the sale is less than $250,000 ($500,000 if Married Filing Jointly).
  • You didn't take depreciation deduction on the home or use it for business during the time you owned it.
  • You didn't rent it out at any time that you owned it.
  • You didn’t receive a Form 1099-S.

Where to enter the sale of your home  (if required) in TurboTax: While inside the software and working on your return, type sale of home in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to sale of home.  Select that to get to the general area. 

Sales expenses are listed in the sellers column of your settlement statement and include:

• commissions
  • appraisal fees
  • broker's fees
  • legal fees
  • advertising fees
  • home inspection reports
  • title insurance
  • transfer taxes or fees
  • geological surveys
  • loan charges (points) or other fees paid on the buyer's behalf
  • any fees for a service that helped you sell your home without a broker (listing fees, promotional fliers, etc.) 

Sales expenses do not include:

• mortgage payoffs
  • home equity loan payoffs
  • rent-back costs
  • payoff to creditors
  • property taxes
  • home owner association fees

Is the Sale of My Main Home Taxable?