turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a question about Life estate, does the remainderman need to declare the property only after he become the owner, or every year since the deed was done ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have a question about Life estate, does the remainderman need to declare the property only after he become the owner, or every year since the deed was done ?

What do you mean, "declare the property."  What kind of property is this?

Hi There,

the House, lets say I am the remainderman of my parents home, do I need to anything until they are alive and live in to the house ?

You never "declare" ownership of anything.  You may have income to report, if something you own gives you income (like a bank account or rental property) or creates income when you sell it.

If you are on the deed to your parents' house and they have a life estate, then as long as they are alive, you can deduct any property taxes and mortgage insurance that you personally pay.  If you don't pay the expenses, you have nothing to deduct.  After they die and you have inherited the house, you may have a taxable event if you sell it, and you may have deductible expenses if you pay mortgage interest or property taxes at that time. 

Thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies