Eric11

I have a Health Savings Account, but no 1099-SA because I had no distributions. TurboTax is asking for my 1099-SA to proceed. How do I proceed without a 1099-SA? Thanks.

I do have a value listed in the box 12d W which contains the contributions for 2017. I contacted my HSA provider and they informed me that form 1099-SA is only required if there have been distributions from the funds. They said I should just be able to proceed, but TurboTax is blocking me and asking me to upgrade in order to process the form 1099-SA. But I don't have the form.

Also, do I need a form 8889?
BMcCalpin

fddfdfbdfbfbd

No, that's not quite what is happening.

The IRS requires you to file form 8889 with your 1040 if you have either contributions to or distributions from your HSA. 

Your HSA administrator is correct that they don't have to send you a 1099-SA if there are no distributions.

However, the upgrade to Deluxe is because you have to add the form 8889 (which reports on the HSA's contributions and distributions). You had contributions because you have a code W in box 12 on your W-2.

Because the IRS requires the 8889 to be attached to form 1040, and because form 1040 is the most complex of the primary tax forms (1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ), TurboTax makes it part of Deluxe and higher versions.

generic_name

Hello,

I have an HSA but no 1099-SA because i did not use funds. This seems very, very simple to me. Because of covid I am paying taxes in a few states. Are you seriously going to charge me $40 for Federal but also $40 for each of 5 states that do not care whether i have an HSA. I will go elsewhere, having wasted way too much time filling information here. How can this be your policy?