jjcolburn2

I have a certified therapy dog. Can I deduct grooming and medical expenses? Can I deduct the mileage used in visiting facilities.\?

Guide Dog or Other Service Animal  

You can include in medical expenses the costs of buying, training, and maintaining a guide dog or other service animal to assist a visually impaired or hearing disabled person, or a person with other physical disabilities. In general, this includes any costs, such as food, grooming, and veterinary care, incurred in maintaining the health and vitality of the service animal so that it may perform its duties

See IRS Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses page 8 -  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf#page=8

Guide Dog or Other Service Animal  

dohrtom

I think the question goes to certified therapy dogs as they are used to volunteer at nursing facilities, hospitals, crisis management and disaster settings.  This can't be under Pub 502 for Medical and Dental expenses as if the animal were used for personal therapy. I would agree if this were for you or a family member.  I believe the expenses are deductible, but not sure where they would be entered.  Help?