Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a certified therapy dog. Can I deduct grooming and medical expenses? Can I deduct the mileage used in visiting facilities.\?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a certified therapy dog. Can I deduct grooming and medical expenses? Can I deduct the mileage used in visiting facilities.\?

Guide Dog or Other Service Animal  

You can include in medical expenses the costs of buying, training, and maintaining a guide dog or other service animal to assist a visually impaired or hearing disabled person, or a person with other physical disabilities. In general, this includes any costs, such as food, grooming, and veterinary care, incurred in maintaining the health and vitality of the service animal so that it may perform its duties

See IRS Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses page 8 -  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf#page=8

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Guide Dog or Other Service Animal  

You can include in medical expenses the costs of buying, training, and maintaining a guide dog or other service animal to assist a visually impaired or hearing disabled person, or a person with other physical disabilities. In general, this includes any costs, such as food, grooming, and veterinary care, incurred in maintaining the health and vitality of the service animal so that it may perform its duties

See IRS Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses page 8 -  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf#page=8

dohrtom

I think the question goes to certified therapy dogs as they are used to volunteer at nursing facilities, hospitals, crisis management and disaster settings.  This can't be under Pub 502 for Medical and Dental expenses as if the animal were used for personal therapy. I would agree if this were for you or a family member.  I believe the expenses are deductible, but not sure where they would be entered.  Help?

I would also like to know. We are volunteer puppy raisers for a guide dog organization, and expenses incurred are deductible. We are in the process of having our pet licensed as a therapy dog so I was wondering if some of the expenses were deductible. A therapy dog falls under a different category I believe. Thanks! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies