Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jletts

I have a book/tax difference that I believe is related to non-deductible meals and entertainment. How can I reconcile on the return?

Can I file the return with a book/tax difference?  I believe it's related to the non-deductible meals.  My books show the entire amount spent, but the return is disallowing about $1800, resulting in an overage on net income of about $1200.  Or, should I amend my books?  I'm not really sure what to do here.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I have a book/tax difference that I believe is related to non-deductible meals and entertainment. How can I reconcile on the return?

Yes you can file with a book - tax difference.  When you have non-deductible expenses like 50% of meals it creates a permanent book- tax difference.  If your business is filing as an S-Corp, the difference is shown on Schedule M-3 - Reconciliation of Income (Loss) per Books With Income (Loss) per Return.   If your business is filing a Form 1065, that is Schedule M-1.  The difference will carry forward and be your starting point for next year's reconciliation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Yes you can file with a book - tax difference.  When you have non-deductible expenses like 50% of meals it creates a permanent book- tax difference.  If your business is filing as an S-Corp, the difference is shown on Schedule M-3 - Reconciliation of Income (Loss) per Books With Income (Loss) per Return.   If your business is filing a Form 1065, that is Schedule M-1.  The difference will carry forward and be your starting point for next year's reconciliation.

jletts

I'm using Turbo Tax and it's telling me Schedule M-1 is out of balance by -917.  Do I leave it as is or make the correction?  If it's the latter, I have no idea how to do that.  Suggestions?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies