turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CPAMike
Returning Member

I had a new Roof and solar system installed 2017. In the Energy credit, can i input the roof costs as well? The new roof was needed for the solar installation.

This same question is addressed in another thread (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/re-could-i-claim-the-30-federal-solar-tax-c...), and I believe that @CA Solar Expert and @BMcCalpin were spot on in their analysis of the underlying tax code (from which the wording in the instructions that is being used to justify including the roof is pulled). Their conclusion, and my own: the roof would not qualify unless you're considering solar shingles or other such solar harnessing material as the roof itself.

I had a new Roof and solar system installed 2017. In the Energy credit, can i input the roof costs as well? The new roof was needed for the solar installation.

I agave the same situation except that  in my situation the Roof was replaced in 2021 and the solar panels installed in 2022 (the solar panels couldn’t be installed in the older roof as it was deemed too old for that). Can I still include the roof replacement cost of 2021 as part of the 2022 solar panel cost/credit? (Notice the year difference). Also if I have claimed the roof by itself in the 2021 return ($500 credit as part of the home energy improvement credit) should I file an amendment to the 2021 to remove it from there since it’s now accounted for in the 2022 solar credit?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS, traditional roofing materials and structural components do not qualify for the installation credit for solar panels. 

@eliyah-kilada 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lesley16

This is not longer accurate for 2023 and should be flagged as such!

Lesley16

This should be updated first to include the entire paragraph that makes it clear a traditional roof is not included and second, that if you roof as both solar and structural components then the cost can be included.

Qualified solar electric property costs.

Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States. No costs relating to a solar panel or other property installed as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify solely because the property constitutes a structural component of the structure on which it is installed. Some solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles serve the function of both traditional roofing and solar electric collectors, and thus serve functions of both solar electric generation and structural support. These solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles can qualify for the credit. This is in contrast to structural components such as a roof's decking or rafters that serve only a roofing or structural function and thus do not qualify for the credit. The home doesn't have to be your main home.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies