turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had a generator installed for medical equipment. Can I deduct the sales tax and can it be deducted under medical?

I'm using oxygen equipment. When we lose power I needed a way to keep this equipment working. I had a generator and transfer switch installed. Can I deduct this generator and transfer switch? Can I deduct the sales tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I had a generator installed for medical equipment. Can I deduct the sales tax and can it be deducted under medical?

You may be able to deduct a portion of the cost of the generator, if its primary purpose is for medical care. However, the deduction is reduced by the amount that this improvement to your home increases the value of your property. See this link under Capital Improvements https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_2015_publink1000178902

You may add the sales tax for the purchase of this generator to your sales tax table amount, but if you are also claiming a medical expense, you must reduce the medical expense by the sales tax claimed elsewhere on the return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You may be able to deduct a portion of the cost of the generator, if its primary purpose is for medical care. However, the deduction is reduced by the amount that this improvement to your home increases the value of your property. See this link under Capital Improvements https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_2015_publink1000178902

You may add the sales tax for the purchase of this generator to your sales tax table amount, but if you are also claiming a medical expense, you must reduce the medical expense by the sales tax claimed elsewhere on the return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JWeb

You can deduct the sales tax as a separate itemized deduction if you choose to deduct sales taxes rather than income taxes. Check https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/calculator to find the applicable sales tax rate for calculating your deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies