turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AmrEl

I got notice irs

I got irs notice I don't understand it they told me I owe 1880 from 2018 for debit canceling I was doing settlement on all this credit cancelled by my creditors and mentioned form 1040 line 17a 

And line 17 b what I should do with that

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I got notice irs

When a creditor cancels part or all of a debt that you owe, that is taxable income to you. For example, if they cancel $5,000 of debt, it's as if they paid you $5,000. You have to report that income on your tax return and pay tax on it. You should have received a Form 1099-C from the creditor showing the amount of debt that was canceled. If you didn't include that in your 2018 tax return, that's why you owe money now.

If the IRS is correct, you can just pay the amount that you owe. Follow the instructions in the IRS notice for how to respond to it. If you can't pay it all right now, you can request a payment plan. Go to the following link on the IRS web site for information about applying for a payment plan.

Apply Online for a Payment Plan

I think the reference in the IRS notice to Form 1040 lines 17a and 17b is probably saying that the amount of your Earned Income Credit (EIC) and Additional Child Tax Credit might have been affected by the increase in the amount of your income. But the amount that the notice says you owe already takes that into account.

If you purchased Audit Defense for your 2018 tax return, call TaxResources, Inc. at 877-829-9695, or report your IRS notice on their web site. http://intuit.taxaudit.com/ Do not contact the IRS until you have spoken to TaxResources. They may contact the IRS on your behalf.

If you did not purchase Audit Defense, you can get help with your IRS notice from TurboTax at the following link.

We can help you with your IRS letter

In any case, make sure you respond to the IRS notice by the date in the notice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies