Solved: I got a 1099-Misc from my mortgage loan bank that list as other income the credit they gave me for closing costs. I was the buyer. Is this taxable?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a 1099-Misc from my mortgage loan bank that list as other income the credit they gave me for closing costs. I was the buyer. Is this taxable?

The mortgage loan credit was used for closing costs.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 4

I got a 1099-Misc from my mortgage loan bank that list as other income the credit they gave me for closing costs. I was the buyer. Is this taxable?

No, it is not taxable.

The credit you received from the bank was a return of excess payments that you made at closing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Level 4

No, it is not taxable.

The credit you received from the bank was a return of excess payments that you made at closing.

View solution in original post

Thank you.
Level 4

You are welcome

Hi Leonard, I would like further clarification. So, we do not have to report credits that they gave us, even though they applied the credit during the closing?

I also recieved one for the same reason. However, the 1099-Misc is submitted to the IRS. How do you correct this to avoid paying taxes for this sum? It should show that I'm missing a 1099-MISC reporting if I tried to just file without it.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings