turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ricem75

I filed standard deduction for federal but want to file itemized for New York State-how do I do that on Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristieB

I filed standard deduction for federal but want to file itemized for New York State-how do I do that on Turbo Tax?

From the New York IT-201 instructions: 

Beginning with tax year 2018, the Tax Law allows you to itemize your deductions for New York State income tax purposes whether or not you itemized your deductions on your federal income tax return (federal Schedule A, Itemized Deductions).

If your New York Itemized Deductions are greater than your New York Standard Deduction, TurboTax will automatically switch it for you in order to maximize your refund.  

This information will be reflected on your IT-201, on Line 34. The Itemized box will be checked, and your Itemized amount will be entered, even though Box B at the top of this form will be checked to state that you took the standard deduction on your federal return. 

You can also see your deduction while in the State section of TurboTax Online at the very end of the questions. If you can't get back to this screen, you may have to click Go Over New York Again and click through to the very end. 

You will see a screen that says Let's Review Your New York Numbers. There will be a line on this summary saying either Itemized Deductions or Standard Deduction and your amount will be there. 

You can view the NY Standard Deductions for 2018 at the link below

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/standard_deductions.htm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies