turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered personal property tax paid during my federal return but my state return is not asking for personal property paid in order to deduct it from my state taxes owed.

I have been able to deduct personal property taxes in prior year state returns.  I am taking standard deduction on my federal return
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I entered personal property tax paid during my federal return but my state return is not asking for personal property paid in order to deduct it from my state taxes owed.

Generally when you enter this in the Federal portion of your return, it will carry over to the state if there is a related credit. What state are you working on?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply, I am working on a South Carolina return.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

It's always good to enter all your tax payments (like personal property tax) into your Federal return, even if you're claiming the Standard Deduction.

Since South Carolina starts their tax calculation with the Federal Adjusted Gross Income, there is no option to use either the Standard or Itemized Deduction. 

So there is no place to enter a personal property tax amount in the South Carolina return; it's already taken from the federal return AGI.

Here's more info on Itemizing Deductions in South Carolina. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies