turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I drive for Uber and Lyft but the car I use is under my fiancee name. Will I still be able to deduct from mileage, gas, meals, and so forth? I have all the receipts.

I am trying to find out if I can deduct expenses even though the car I'm using is not under my name.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I drive for Uber and Lyft but the car I use is under my fiancee name. Will I still be able to deduct from mileage, gas, meals, and so forth? I have all the receipts.

You can deduct Gas (and other Actual Expenses your written records prove, such as tolls and parking), but Not 'standard mileage' - which includes an allowance for depreciation. You can't take a deduction for depreciation on something you don't own.  If you paid fiancee rent for use of vehicle, you could deduct that - but it would also be taxable income to recipient. Meals are generally Not deductible unless away from home overnight ...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can deduct Gas (and other Actual Expenses your written records prove, such as tolls and parking), but Not 'standard mileage' - which includes an allowance for depreciation. You can't take a deduction for depreciation on something you don't own.  If you paid fiancee rent for use of vehicle, you could deduct that - but it would also be taxable income to recipient. Meals are generally Not deductible unless away from home overnight ...
Hal_Al
Level 15

People (e.g. your fiance) who receive money for personal property (e.g. automobile) rental can take a direct deduction of expenses (e.g.IRS mileage rate) on form 1040. That is, she will owe no income tax if you rent the car from her at a rate of 54  cents per mile and you get the deduction on schedule C.

As an aside, be sure that her auto insurer permits someone other than her to use the vehicle for commercial purposes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies