Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ekim308
Returning Member

I did a voluntary return of a purchased vehicle (repossesion). The car was sold at auctiion and I have an outstanding balance.

I am an independent contractor and use my car 97% for business.  The outstanding loan is not forgiven and I owe the balance.  Am I able to deduct this balance as a loss? Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I did a voluntary return of a purchased vehicle (repossesion). The car was sold at auctiion and I have an outstanding balance.

You may be able to deduct the balance of the loan, but it depends on a few things.

1) When you bought the car, did you take a full deduction for it since you use it for mostly business?

2) How much depreciation have you taken on the car?

You would walk through the steps in the business section >>vehicle expenses to report the disposal of your vehicle.  This will help you report the loss from the repossession. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ekim308
Returning Member

bought new in January 2022. No depreciation taken, yet. Is it possible to take depreciation for the few months i had ownership and then take the loss on the balance?

Yes, you can take depreciation for the time that you had the car.

It depends if you can take a loss on the balance. @Vanessa A advised you to walk through these steps.

1.  Business section > Vehicle Expense > Disposal of a vehicle.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies